Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 2 and 3 - Aberdeen, Scotland


I was planning on writing a blog last night but I was not feeling too great so I am writing about our Day 2 and 3 adventures tonight.

On Day 2, Friday, Jon woke up pretty early to return to his office here while Trent, Landon, and I caught up on some sleep. I woke the boys up around 9:30 am so that we could make it to breakfast at the hotel by 10 am. The breakfast buffet consisted of several pastries and toast, cereal, fried and scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon (reminds me more of ham), fruit and several other things I was not sure about. The boys were really excited that they had frosted flakes here!  We went back to the room, played with toys and Jon came back to the hotel around 1 pm to take us to lunch and to do a little more exploring.

For lunch we ate at KFC chicken! Jon had found it when he was here and knew we would like it because its like the one we have at home. Food was great! The boys really like the “fruit shoots” that come with most kids meals here. Its like an apple juice box but in a pop top plastic bottle so it is fun for them. We went to the Bank of Scotland to try to set up a bank account here but its not that easy when you have no history of living in Scotland, same with getting a cell phone here! Jon drove me through a car lot to look at cars and see what I might feel comfortable driving with on the road. I’m used to driving a big SUV and all of the cars here are pretty small. A smaller car would be fine though considering how fast everyone drives and how narrow these roads are. I’m thinking I may need to figure this out pretty soon, not sure how long I want to be without a car to get around. I may try to take the bus some next week around town. We drove back to our neighborhood to check on the painting in the house, wash some clothes and let the boys run around for a while at the park again. I found out it maybe 2 weeks before we move in now, so we are looking for an extended stay apartment in the meantime. For dinner we headed to a local restaurant, Four Mile. It was not the best meal I’ve had here, everything tasted so different to me, and I was sick to my stomach most of the night…not fun!

Day 3 was a long day of exploring again. Today we had breakfast at 10 am (notice we still are adjusting to the time!) Jon and I grabbed a map and decided we would head to City Centre, Union Street shops, Union Street Mall, the beach and to see the International School of Aberdeen which they will be attending in a week. Trent and Landon really liked seeing all of the big ships in the harbor. The buildings and cathedrals were amazing. I love all the architecture here. There is so much history to see. The mall was fairly new and even had an H&M store and a huge Apple store. We had lunch at the Pizza Hut in the mall, and I’m not sure that Pizza Hut ever tasted this good, seriously! Near City Centre and the mall was a beach to the North Sea full of big waves crashing into the shore. Next to the beach we found where the “River Don” meets the North Sea.

This evening, we were invited to have dinner with some new friends, Steve and Christi Hollis from Houston who have been living in Aberdeen for a couple of years now. Christi has been such a big help over the past couple of months with helping us and answering questions I had while preparing for our move. I had come across her blog one day on accident while searching for information on moving from Houston to Aberdeen, Scotland. I saw that she had two boys close to Trent and Landon’s age and thought I could use any helpful information she could provide. It was so great that the boys were able to meet each other tonight as well and they had a great time playing with each other. They are also very excited to have new friends here. We also met Howard and Vanette Wood and their two little girls. They moved here a couple months ago from Conroe. We look forward to getting together again soon. Thank you Steve and Christi for a wonderful dinner and great hospitality!

As I write this we are watching the Texas A&M vs. Arkansas game on the computer via Slingbox. I’m so excited that it is working and I can watch my TV shows like I do at home. The best part is we can DVR the shows we like and watch them when we want because of the time difference. We connected the Slingbox at my in-laws, Anita and Tom’s house back at home so that we can watch all cable shows through our computer, which we can then hook up to our TV here in Aberdeen.

Everything is going great! Cheers!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts