Sunday, October 24, 2010

Finally out of the Hotel - Aberdeen, Scotland

The last week of "living" in a hotel was not as much fun. Jon and I were both ready to have a little freedom in the evening to watch our TV and just have adult time. After 17 nights of staying at the Marriott here, we have finally moved into our house. I have to say that I will miss the breakfast buffet every morning, room service everyday, the indoor swimming pool and how could I forget seeing all the men in kilts dressed for weddings on Saturday. I'm sure they will not forget my loud energetic boys running through the hallways and revolving doors over and over thoughout the day. What can I say, there is something so fun about staying in a hotel as a kid, its always a vacation! I must say that the highlight of their stay in the hotel was probably staying right by the airport in Dyce. It is a major airport so Trent and Landon would watch large jets taking off and landing all day long right from their window. It is also close to the the largest heliport so they would see hundreds of helicopters taking off and landing as well. We will miss the hotel as it was the first place we stayed and started learning a new culture. These first few weeks have been exciting and stressful all at the same time but we have managed to get through it. Some of the hardest things have been the different terminology for things, slow pace lifestyle, different accents, converting everything from USD to British Pounds for everything we pay for, opening a bank account, buying a car, driving on the other side of the road, getting insurance for a car, getting a cell phone for myself and learning how to get around.

We are excited about having more space and settling in our house here. On Saturday we left the hotel and moved into the house. Our neighborhood is very family oriented which is great for the kids. They have enjoyed playing outside when they can and running around in the house. It is a 2 story house with 4-5 bedrooms and 3 baths. We have a conservatory (like a sun room). I will try to post pictures of the house in a week or two when I have everything unpacked from our sea shipment. I can't wait for that to arrive!!!!

On Sunday we attended our first church service here in Aberdeen at St. Mary's Cathedral. It was a beautiful church and the service was wonderful. There are many beautiful churches here in Scotland! This afternoon while we were upstairs in the house we could here something and looked up to see sleet falling on the skylights. The weather is always changing here, we never know what to expect!


St Mary's Catholic Cathedral 




Sleet on the Sky light

Relaxing with Daddy in the new Recliner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts